Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review-The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han


Published: April 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 288
Source: Library

Rating from A+ to F: I gave this book an A+! See why in my rating analysis!

-Summary-

Belly measures her life in summers.  Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August.  Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad.  They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between.  But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.


-Review-


I really liked The Summer I Turned Pretty! Jenny Han is a very good writer and I fell in love with the book the moment I started reading it. Belly is a girl who measures her life in summers when she hangs out at a beach house in the summer with her mother's friend and her two sons: Jeremiah and Conrad. Belly, Jeremiah, and Conrad have always just been good friends, but this summer it is different. Belly feels pretty, and believes that this is the summer she turned pretty when Jeremiah and Conrad REALLY notice her. 


I loved the relationship between the characters: you just really felt it as you read the book! It is a phenomenal book by Jenny Han and I advise everybody to buy or borrow this book and you will definitely not regret it! 


This story is basically about Belly's love to the two boys, and how she feels toward them. The plot of this story is great: there really isn't any unnecessary events in the story or slow moments. The characters were very well developed, you could mostly understand the personalities of all the characters except one or two. The writing was also amazing by Jenny Han. The creativity was excellent: I loved how Jenny used the months of summer (June, July, August) in the book, and also she would have "flashbacks" from previous summer in the book, which I thought was very cool. Very good ending and I absolutely love the cover! Overall, a very good book!


RATING ANALYSIS: 
1. Plot- 20 out of 20 points.
2. Characters- 14 out of 15 points.
3. Writing- 20 out of 20 points. 
4. Creativity- 15 out of 15 points. 
5. Originality- 10 out of 10 points.
6. Ending- 15 out of 15 points.
7. Cover- 5 out of 5 points. 
Equals: 99! 97-100 is an A+


PARENTAL REVIEW:
Violence
Mild/Excessive Cursing
Mild/Excessive Sexual Content
Drug/Alcohol Use
Recommended for ages 13 and older. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments and I do read each and every one of them! Thank you for commenting on my post!