Thursday, July 7, 2011

Review-Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly 


Release Date: October 12, 2010
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pages: 472, Hardcover
Source: Library
Series: Standalone book

Rating from A+ to F: A+








BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She's angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she's about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights' most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.


PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn't want--and couldn't escape.


Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine's diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There's comfort and distraction for Andi in the journals' antiqued pages--until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine's words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.


Jennifer Donnelly, author of the award-winning novel, A Northern Light, artfully weaves two girls' stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love. Revolution spans centuries and vividly depicts the eternal struggles of the human heart.








Wow, I loved this book. Usually I'm not a fan of historical fiction, but I totally fell in love with this novel, and couldn't stop reading it after I started it. I enjoyed Jennifer Donnelly's writing style and it is very original and creative. I couldn't get enough of this book! This is a book that not many bloggers or young adult readers have read, but they definitely should, because I think they would love it.

Plot- I just loved the idea of this book, I learned a lot about the French Revolution while reading this, things that I never knew. I'm interested in reading more books by Jennifer Donnelly since I loved this one so much. I could feel every emotion in the story, everything Andi was feeling, and everything Alex was feeling. There's nothing slow about this book, I devoured it! I didn't want it to end, I just wanted to keep reading and have the story continue. But it ended, and I loved it all the same. Such a great plot, it is an amazing book! 


Characters- The characters were wonderful, each one that lived in the past and present. I could imagine the people from the eighteenth century: how they looked, how they acted, and how they felt. They were all so believable, and well-developed. Jessica Donnelly did a great job with these characters. 
Favorite Character- Virgil. I loved him, he was so cute!
Least Favorite Character- Arden. She was a rude person, and I don't like rude people!

Writing- I loved Jessica's writing in this, and I'm interested in reading more by her. I loved the diary posts and how she created Andi and all the other characters. There were so many quotes that I loved and were blown away from. This quote was one I just didn't know what to feel, it's so real. 


















Makes you emotional, right? There were so many more that I loved and felt something for, but they would take up too much room. Fabulous writing from Jennifer Donnelly, I loved it.

Cover- The cover is so pretty and goes along with the story well. And, the red ribbon? You'll get it after you read the book. The title fits very well with the plot, I really like it. 


So, I would recommend this to all readers, even if you don't like historical fiction, because you definitely would like this one. I wasn't a big fan of historical fiction, until I read this book, and now I'm willing to read more. This book should get more hype than it does, because it is an amazing book. Everyone should check this story out! 


First Sentence: Those who can, do. Those who can't deejay. 






1. Plot- 20 out of 20 points.
2. Characters- 14 out of 15 points.
3. Writing- 20 out of 20 points.
4. Creativity- 15 out of 15 points.
5. Originality- 10 out of 10 points.
6. Ending- 15 out of 15 points.
7. Cover- 5 out of 5 points.
Equals: 99! 97-100 is an A+










Violence
Mild/Excessive Cursing
Mild/Excessive Sexual Content
Drug/Alcohol Use




Jennifer Donnelly is the author of two adult novels, The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose, as well as the young adult novel A Northern Light, winner of Britain's Carnegie Medal, the L.A. Times Book Prize for Young Adult Literature, and a Michael L. Printz Honor Award. She lives in New York's Hudson Valley.

Visit her website: http://jenniferdonnelly.com/

Check out the book at Goodreads
Buy this book at: Amazon | Borders | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound









2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I found your blog on the Book Blogger Hop links and I'm now following you on GFC!

    I love the way you do your reviews, as a sidenote. Very informative.

    I'm not usually a big fan of diary entries in books as a way of writing, did you find that in this case it detracted from the story at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Brenna Thank you!! No, the diary entries definitely didn't detract from the story, it actually told the story of Alex, the girl from the eighteenth century. You definitely will enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments and I do read each and every one of them! Thank you for commenting on my post!